Thursday, June 01, 2006

Faithfulness

Well.....on to better things. John's class was great last night, I really enjoy John's classes and his teaching methods.

The topic was on faithfulness......a hard word for most of us to fully understand. To me faithfulness is commitment. Commitment is so misused today, commitment has a cost, allot of people commit themselves to things in which they do not have an understanding of what that commitment will cost.

It is easy to commit to something when all is well, commitment doesn't kick in until the bad comes along, or until that commitment is tested.Over my lifetime I have committed myself to allot of things, we often commit ourselves to doing things and when the time comes to get it done something that interests us more or is more pressing at that time may over rule that previous commitment. I am sure everyone has broken a commitment at some point.

The point is this, with true commitment there is cost, the cost may be financial, the cost may be emotional, the cost my be physical, the cost my even be your life. We make commitments to friends, family, our spouse, our kids, our work, to God. These commitments should be held sacred and we should do everything we can to ensure we hold up our end of the bargain, to keep the trust that others have placed on us to be there for them in good times and even more when storms arise.

So before you commit to something, just make sure you understand the cost of that commitment and when and if you do commit; have the endurance and will power to see it through.

I have often prayed to God for that endurance and he has helped me to stay focused on the future and has helped me through those times that my commitment was tested. God has made the commitment to us, and he will always be there for us. Just as the prodigal son we often disregard our commitments at let people down, especially those we love most, but the Father is always there waiting for the return of the beloved son. He is trustworthy and as Christians we should reflect these qualities of God.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kelley said...

That picture of that man and his finger has me feeling a bit queasy! I linked to you from Amy's blog and I offer you a "blog church" welcome! Now I'm going to go throw up!

10:08 AM  
Blogger Amy S. Grant said...

I needed to hear that one (especially since I played hooky from class). Great thoughts and so true!

10:44 AM  
Blogger John Grant said...

Cary,
Welcome to blogworld! With that one photo, I can tell that you are going to make outstanding contributions to the treasury of intellectual wealth in blogworld.

Thanks for the kind words about the class. I really enjoy our Wednesday class -- relaxed & fun, but also a very thoughtful group. An easy class to teach!

1:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home